Wednesday, October 7, 2009

When life gives you apples...

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know the saying is supposed to be,
"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
However, I didn't have any lemons, so my spin on this phrase is,
"When life gives you apples, make apple pie!"


Today marks the official one-week marker since I was laid-off from my job. Yes, I realize I am not alone and that the national unemployment rate is quickly approaching the 10% mark. But, this is an all time first for me, and I must admit it has been a whirlwind week of emotions. Initially, I was just plain SHOCKED! I mean, I saw the writing on the wall with my company and all of the changes that had been going on, but come on... no one ever thinks it will really happen. Well, it did. So, I proceeded to drink a lot of wine that first night to try and numb the pain. Unfortunately, that was probably not the best way to deal, as I felt like CRAP the next day! The next emotion to set in was fear. Fear of finding a new job, fear of there being a job, fear of finances and fear of failure. I tried to overcome this emotion by being as proactive as possible! I got my resume updated and started the job search! Landed myself my first phone interview on day 3 (which has lead to a face-to-face interview this week)! This gave me some hope. Another emotion that has set in is utter gratitude. I have been blown away by the kindness of family & friends! You have all done so much to lift my spirits, help to network and just brighten my days with random acts of kindness!

Thank you!!!

Here is one of my favorite acts of kindness that arrived via UPS last week.... (MMMMMmmmmm!!!! Thanks to Mr. & Mrs. Morris!!!)

I must say that this experience so far has definitely been humbling, but as I was told, "every cloud has a silver lining." I truly believe that this has helped me to really think about what it is I want to do with the rest of my life. Do I know yet? NO, but I have seriously considered many ideas, that I think would have remained just that, ideas, had this not happened. I am looking towards the future through rose colored glasses (or my new gift to myself, Versace sunglasses... story for another posting)!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Ugh! I'm sorry Brooke, I'm just reading this now. A yoga instructor once told me that these are "nudges in a different direction"...sounds like you are remaining upbeat.

Brooke's Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Blog Archive